From The Principal's Desk
Welcome back to Point Cook College for 2017. On behalf of the College community I extend a very warm welcome to our new students and families that have joined us this year. We trust that your association with Point Cook College will be positive and we look forward to a strong partnership focusing on the growth of your children.
It was great to see our Preps arrive at school on Tuesday excited about their first day. There were very proud and some anxious parents watching on as their babies achieved a significant milestone in their lives.
I would like to thank all parents and guardians for ensuring that students returned to school on Tuesday relaxed and energised for a very productive school year. It was wonderful listening to many stories of family vacations, fun with friends and many other exciting summer adventures.
Thank you for supporting our Uniform Policy. I’m certain you agree the students look fantastic.
If you have a chance please take the time to read a post on our Facebook page regarding children starting a new school year.
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce new staff members to the College Community:
- Ms Cassie Benness joins the Year 1/2 Neighbourhood
- Ms Anika O’Callaghan joins the Year 1/2 Neighbourhood
- Mr Paul Grant joins the Year 1/2 Neighbourhood
- Ms Robyn Morris joins the Year 1/2 Neighbourhood
- Ms Rachael Evans joins the Year 3/4 Neighbourhood
- Ms Danielle Hart joins the Year 3/4 Neighbourhood
- Ms Sarah Scott joins the Year 3/4 Neighbourhood
- Ms Alexandra Phillips joins the Year 5/6 Neighbourhood
- Ms Madeline Curnow joins the Year 5/6 Neighbourhood
- Ms Julie Aquilina joins the Year 5/6 Neighbourhood
- Ms Tenealle Hawke joins the Year 7, 8 and 9 Neighbourhood
- Mr Dominik Zylka joins the Year 7, 8 and 9 Neighbourhood
- Ms Christine Durbridge who joins the EAL team
We also welcome back after being away for some time:
- Ms Sarah Myers who joins the Year 5/6 Neighbourhood
- Mr Kevin Roberson who joins the Year 5/6 Neighbourhood
- Ms Rose O’Connor who joins the Year 7, 8 and 9 Neighbourhood
- Ms Lauren Romanczukiewicz joins the Year 7, 8 and 9 Neighbourhood
- Ms Sally Hill who joins the e-learning team
There have been slight changes to the College Leadership Team in 2017:
- College Principal - Mr Frank Vetere
- Assistant Principal P-9 Engagement & Wellbeing - Ms Robyn Fincher
- Assistant Principal P-9 Specialist Programs - Ms Jenny Hayes
- Assistant Principal School Operations/21st Century Learning - Mr Daryl English
- Assistant Principal Years P-4 - Ms Marg Holness
- Assistant Principal Years 5-9 - Ms Bernadette Cronin
- Neighbourhood Leader Prep - Ms Rachel Wallace
- Neighbourhood Leader Years 1 & 2 - Ms Lizzie Tout
- Neighbourhood Leader Years 3 & 4 - Mr Chris Johns
- Neighbourhood Leader Years 5 & 6 - Ms Julie Ryan
- Neighbourhood Leader Years 7, 8 & 9 - Ms Rebecca Collins
- Literacy Improvement Coordinator - Mr Jeff Wilson
- Community Partnerships/EAL - Ms Rebecca Thornton
- Specialist Team Leader - Ms Jennifer Gigas
- Inclusion Coordinator - Ms Deb Richardson
Year of Review
In 2017 we enter the third year of the School Strategic Plan with a focus on ensuring all students achieve academic growth in a safe and supportive learning environment. We continue to focus on embedding our School Wide Positive Behaviour Framework and commit to living our vision of ‘Creating Tomorrow Today.'
In addition, 2017 is a year of review for Point Cook College. We will be engaging community participation in reviewing our college and our performance against state targets. The review and its findings will inform the new Strategic Plan.
I continue to encourage the community to access College information and correspondence through Compass, our web page or through our official social media pages to ensure you receive information that is relevant, current and timely. If you require advice regarding access to online information please contact us at the College.
At Point Cook College we are committed to ensuring all students have equal access to the educational programs we provide and support is available for families who may be under financial hardship to meet the costs of their child’s education. We understand that circumstances may arise which create financial pressure and we have a number of assistance options available for eligible families, including fee payment alternatives, uniform subsidy and camps and excursion support.
For government assistance packages, eligibility is determined through successful applications for CSEF assistance. In other circumstances please contact the College and you will be directed to the appropriate staff member.
All requests for assistance will be treated confidentially and with discretion.
Camps, Sports and Excursions Fund (CSEF)
The Camps, Sports and Excursions Fund provides payments for eligible students to attend camps, sports and excursions. Parents or legal guardians are required to submit a new CSEF application form each year and forms may be collected at the office.
State Schools’ Relief (SSR) is continuing to support students who are recipients of the 2016 Camps, Sports and Excursions Fund (CSEF) by providing a subsidised Uniform Pack to students starting Year 7 in 2017. Please contact the office for further information.
Eligible Prep families will be able to apply for Uniform packs via SSR later in the term. Please watch the newsletter to see when applications are open.
- School starts at 8.50am with homerooms open and staffed from 8.40am to allow students time to get organised for learning. Please note that the yard is NOT supervised prior to 8.35am and students should not be arriving prior to this for safety reasons.
- Be SunSmart. Hats are required during Term 1 and water bottles are also highly recommended especially during warmer weather.
- Travel safely – helmets, stranger danger, using the crossings.
- If collecting students early please remember to send a note so that they can be sent to the office to meet you when signing them out.
- Make sure belongings are named clearly, especially removable clothing. If an owner can be identified items can be returned when found.
- Teachers have meeting commitments immediately after school every Tuesday and Wednesday and will not be able to talk at this time.
I look forward to a sensational year at PCC.