THE CHILD SAFE STANDARDS
Ministerial Order No. 870 sets out the specific actions that schools need to take to meet the child safe standards. The introduction of child safe standards form part of the Victorian Government’s response to the recommendations of the Betrayal of Trust report, which found that more must be done to prevent and respond to child abuse in schools.
The standards will promote cultures where protecting children from abuse is part of everyday thinking and practice in organisations.
The Child Safe Standards set out to create safe places for children to fully and actively participate in the life of the community benefiting everyone. Point Cook College will ensure that the children in its care are protected to the best of its ability and in line with their duty of care and the compulsory child safe standards.
To create and maintain a child safe school, we will comply with the following standards.
– Establish a culturally safe environment in which the diverse and unique identities and experiences of Aboriginal children and young people are respected and valued.
– Ensure that child safety and wellbeing are embedded in school leadership, governance and culture.
– Children and young people are empowered about their rights, participate in decisions affecting them and are taken seriously.
– Families and communities are informed and involved in promoting child safety and wellbeing.
– Equity is upheld and diverse needs are respected in policy and practice.
– People working with children and young people are suitable and supported to reflect child safety and wellbeing values in practice.
– Ensure that processes for complaints and concerns are child focused.
– Staff and volunteers are equipped with the knowledge, skills and awareness to keep children and young people safe through ongoing education and training.
– Physical and online environments promote safety and wellbeing while minimising the opportunity for children and young people to be harmed.
- Implementation of the Child Safe Standards is regularly reviewed and improved.
– Policies and procedures that document how schools are safe for children, young people and students.
In complying with the child safe standards above, we will be mindful of the diversity of students and school communities and include the following inclusion principles as part of each standard:
© 2022 Point Cook P-9 College